Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Empty Re: Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.

Post  Kim Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 am

AGREED on both counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got the plan sheet for those that might want a copy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Zippers Rule !!!!!!!!!!

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Scient19
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Empty Re: Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 am

ticomareado wrote:The general layout of this model is just begging for a reconfiguration to a Beechcraft Bonanza. With a good specimen of a Wen Mac MK II or Mk III for power.
A good number of Walt's Scientific plans and photos show an OK Cub, either the Model "A" or "B" drawn installed or in a photo in the plans or box. I think there may be one or more showing the Wen Mac plumbed for the separate tank. That was the nice thing about Walt's designs, he made sure they could accommodate just about any engine in that power class. Even an A.C. Gilbert .074 Thunderhead would work with the appropriate modifications and be period correct.

Kim wrote:AGREED on both counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got the plan sheet for those that might want a copy !!!!!!!!!!!! Zippers Rule !!!!!!!!!!

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Scient19
Thanks Kim for providing a photo of the plan. I have found that by simply reprinting the pdf or jpeg using a tiling program to 4 times will enlarge the true 1/4 scale top view to proper size. I never built the Zipper, but always liked the looks of it when browsing hobby stores and Scientific ads in the 1960's and 1970's.

I was sad to hear of Walt's passing, but time has allowed many to pass on that I grew up with their plans, kits and magazine articles.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:51 am

While Walt did keep the average modeller in mind in terms of providing kits for engines that most had, truth be told the OK flew the planes better.Having the tank on the cg was key and building them light. Putting a Cox engine on them was too heavy and placed the engine out too far. That being said, I saw a Fox .049 in a Golden Hawk fly extremely well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:53 am

Looking Good Kim , you did a darn good job on the LG and coweling , That gear should hold up Nicely ! Very Happy This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:10 pm

She's lookin' pretty dadgum good, Kim!!!!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Tee Bee wrote:She's lookin' pretty dadgum good, Kim!!!!

Thank you Troy! Gonna have me some Scientific Stuff at this year's S.M.A.L.L. !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue May 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Bump!

Kim,
I'm dying to see how this is turning out!
(Thanks to RSV Bob who reminded me of it this am)
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 pm

I thought it looked like a tiny Taurus RC Pattern ship. As a little kid the Scientific ads were ones I could stare at for a long time!
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:11 pm

So, with Top Dawg entering the Operational Fleet, attention goes back to another Hangar Queen...my +10% Scientific "Zipper".  I apologize for my flightyness in cranking up one project, only to jump to another, but apparently, that's just the way I roll these days.

So, Zipper has been waiting for the last stages before its test flight...mostly painted...but needing some trim paint and tail feather work.

I couldn't glue the fin/rudder on 'til it got its blue trim, and the elevator stitch-hinged.   Got the blue trim done today, and am getting ready to stitch the elevator...I REALLY got to be in the mood for this stuff.  Also discovered that the nose gear wire was too short, so got to bend another.  A few other bits to go, and it should be ready.

Here's an album of the recent goings' on:

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 1_249
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 2_216
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 5_79
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 2_217

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0227
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0228
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0230
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 100_67
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 150_115

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0231
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Box_to10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:12 am

Kim, that looks fantastic !!!
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:18 am

Beautiful man, you did a good job on the finishing !! I really like the looks of it United States
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:00 am

From April 7th 2020 until today Kim.

Not bad progress........ Smile

Better than me. I never even followed through on my pledge to do one myself. And, I should be drummed out of the Zipper club as I let this ebay sale slip through my fingers

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Ebay_z10

BIN for $100. I looked at it several times and the seller sent me an offer (they can do that now) of $84 which I let slide for reasons I can't explain. Regrets, now I scan every day on ebay for one.

Oh..........your +10 Zipper build... Fantastic.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:25 am

Nice Job , I Love the paint Job
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:39 pm

That's EYE CANDY man!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:34 pm

Racy looking classic and very nice finish work….. I hope this one makes it to video status!!… Thanks for sharing!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:24 pm

Thanks Guys!

A Sunday afternoon of chasing little details got Zipper ready for its first flight, but I MAY pull the engine for a test run just to get everything friendly for its first round.

Got a good day today, but I'm too burned out to take a swipe at it...I'll get my Mojo together and give it a shot soon.

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0234
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0232
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0233
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0235
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0237

https://youtu.be/5DxezCmjiuY
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:14 pm

That's beautiful, Kim!

You know I'm a sucker for Scientifics. I look forward to hearing how this does at 110% scale...I wonder how it would be at 135-150% with a Norvel .074 or Medallion .09.

I had to re-read the thread from start to finish. Now I want to see if I have the plan sheet in my collection. Someday I'd like to do this one....sigh.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:14 am

944_Jim wrote:That's beautiful, Kim!

You know I'm a sucker for Scientifics. I look forward to hearing how this does at 110% scale...I wonder how it would be at 135-150% with a Norvel .074 or Medallion .09.

I had to re-read the thread from start to finish. Now I want to see if I have the plan sheet in my collection. Someday I'd like to do this one....sigh.

Thanks Jim!

Yeah, I'll probably never make it happen, but one of my fantasies would be a 2.5x Zipper, with a J. Roberts bellcrank, and throttle control for maybe an .09 Medallion.  The image of Zipper doing playground touch and goes on its trike gear is something I've thought about for years.

Let me know if you want a snail-mailed copy of mine...or any other of the Musciano Plan sheets I have  (GOT to do an inventory on that!).
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:55 am

That is really nice Kim. You did a fantastic job on the paint.

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:19 pm

I love the way you duplicated the box art Kim, right down to the rather complicated belt-line stripe. It looks like you found a canopy that is scaled correctly to the rest of the model. I wish I could watch your first flight with it, in person.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:44 pm

Nice work, Kim, you've captured the essence with your redition and your scale up should provide even better flying with more wing area.

Always an admirer, I wanted to build the Zipper in high school, but got pre-empted when I graduated and left home.

Looking forward to your flights.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:52 pm

@Kim, someone just posted the Dumas half-A 26-in. Little Tom Tom (II): https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=15420

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 1542010
Photo from Outerzone website.

It is the full fuselage version of the profile half-A Tomahawk. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6841

I built the Little Tom Tom while in high school, 1972, finished it with solid (not metallic) burnt orange acryllic enamel auto paint left over from painting my 1967 Datsun PL411 Bluebird 4-door sedan.

It resembles the Zipper, but has better proportions. Come to think of it, I think the reason why I put off the Zipper was Pete's Model Hobbycraft store in Ala Moana Shopping Center, Waikiki had a kit, but someone already opened the box and removed the shrink wrap plastic. Being a stickler for completeness, I rarely ever purchased anything that someone had already broken the factory barrier to completeness.

Nowadays living rurally, I've purchased open box stuff in hardware stores. It is either do it or do without. Doh! Clean my glasses Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:20 pm

DUDE!

This forum and its membership continues to call up "Twilight Zone Moments".  I probably shouldn't be surprised at our similar paths, but it STILL makes me go, "Hmmm".

I ALSO built a Little Tom Tom when I was 14.  At the time, our undisputed "1/2A King of the Circle" was Uncle Wayne's Dumas Scout...previously kitted by VECO.  This Scout still exists, gifted to me by Uncle Wayne back in the 1980's, and internally restored / rebuilt to flying status about ten years ago.

I LOVED flying the Scout back in those days, but several others were flying in our group, and I wanted to break away on my own.  So, I bought a Dumas "Little Tom Tom" kit because of its similar dimensions, but with a bit different look.  

This project was doomed however, because I chose to avoid the incredibly expensive Aerogloss dope, and finished it with some rattle-can paint of dubious parentage.  The paint immediately melted away during the first flights, turning into a gooey mess, and the poor plane was stripped and given a Viking Funeral.  Live & Learn... and save up the cash for Aerogloss!!!!

A few years ago, I started this Little Tom Tom kit, and it's another "Almost-Ready-to-Rock" back-burner project.  Two or three good sessions will have it flying, but I'm waiting for that illusive Good Mojo Call to do it.  

Concerning it and Zipper, the Little Tom Tom is slightly larger (even with the Zipper being +10%), and its constant chord wing has more area, with a symmetrical airfoil.  Zipper's flat-bottomed wing assures that any inverted hyjinks will be approached with extreme caution! Shocked

So, maybe it's time to break out the masking tape and detail gun for yet another finish-off.

Great to know I was in good company with my aircraft choices back in the day!!!  So many of us, at least in this way, walked the same path back then!

Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0244
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0245
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0246  
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0247
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0248
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0249
Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!. - Page 3 Dsc_0250
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:09 pm

Kim wrote:Thanks Guys!

A Sunday afternoon of chasing little details got Zipper ready for its first flight, but I MAY pull the engine for a test run just to get everything friendly for its first round.

Got a good day today, but I'm too burned out to take a swipe at it...I'll get my Mojo together and give it a shot soon.

https://youtu.be/5DxezCmjiuY

Thoroughly enjoyable walk-around Kim!! Little airplanes ROCK!!! Cool
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:17 pm

The Little Tom Tom is my favorite, a real fun flying plane. I have the profile Baby Tomahawk and the 42" version of it which is the Tomahawk. All of those planes in that lineup were great flying planes.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next