Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Cox_ba12

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Giving new life to a classic?
by Don Link Yesterday at 9:40 pm

» td 0.20 question.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:04 pm

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 8:43 pm

» Lesson learned
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» 010 head stops glowing
by balogh Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» Engine choice
by 049kid Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» 1940's?...............
by cstatman Yesterday at 10:51 am

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by howardhb Yesterday at 8:40 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:53 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:07 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Empty
Live on Patrol

AMC-AMX, now there was a car

Go down

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Empty AMC-AMX, now there was a car

Post  Eddy Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm

I know there are many here that love their cars, mine is a 1968 American Motors, two seat AMX. I have tried to post a few pictures and just haven't figured it out yet, Until then. I bought my AMX new in September 1968, after my tour with the Navy was over. It was a demonstrator, but I wanted to order a new 1969 model. I was told that the AMX and the Javelin were built on the same assembly line, and the AMX was built only when so many orders were received for the AMX. Would I wait the 8 to 12 weeks for a 1969 model to be built, I did not want to weight and bought the 1968 AMX that was the demonstrator. It was built in April of 1968, and came in the color of Caravel Blue, with the neat over the top white racing stripes. Tan vinyl interior, 3 speed Bog Warner automatic on the floor and A.M. radio. Under the hood, was a matching blue painted 343 C.I. V8, with a Carter 4 barrel, duel exhaust with chrome exhaust tips. The rear gears were only 3.15 to 1 as that was the best from the factory with the automatic. Over the years it has been a garage car and driven very little. The speedometer today shows 157,028 miles, but that is an exaggeration as to a rear gear change from 3.15 to 3.73 many years ago. to drive 70 mph the speedometer has to read 80 mph. Other changes to my AMX are: the very rare, all chrome rally wheels, only as a dealer option in 1968, that I bought at a car show in 1975. I also installed the rare, rally pac instrumentation in the center dash that has, 24 hour clock, oil pressure and ammeter gauge, the clock would normally go where the tachometer is. The engine was built and bored 0.30, over with the then rare group 19 steel rods and crankshaft, with stock 10.25 to 1 pistons. A Crane Fireball cam, along with Rhoads lifters, and the new style oil pump that would solve the AMC engine oil problem failure. The heads are stock rectangle and not the newer dog-leg, they have been matched to the intake and the valves have a 3 angle grind. An Edelbrock R4B Aluminum intake, sits under a Carter 625 CFM with electric choke. An original set of Cyclone exhaust headers, flow through a set of Wagner Super Turbo Mufflers, all along a 2 1/4" exhaust outlet. The Bog Warner Automatic model 11, was not a performance transmission at all. The insides of the model 11 were rebuilt, with the model 12 insides and planetary gear sets, that came with the 390 engine. The clutch pac was upgraded to the metal impregnated fiber pac that gives rock hard positive shifts, along with a higher pressure oil pump and added transmission oil cooler.  The rear axel and hub are a weak point. The axel shaft ends are splined to match the hub splines with only a 3/16" key way machined to lock everything and held on with 1  5/16" nut, and that setup is all that holds the rear wheels on.  The axels now, have had a second key way machined 180 degrees opposite the original, and both key ways were enlarged from the original 3/16" to 1/4", problem solved. The AMX was not meant to be a Corvette chaser, nor was it intended to take from their sales, it was an attention getter, to draw other customers into the AMC show rooms that weren't familiar with AMC and what they were trying to sell. The performance of my 1968 AMX now, is the way AMC should have built it from the factory, as fast if not faster than a Camaro Z28 of the time. Sadly, like its car cousin, the Studebaker Avanti, both had so much potential, only people were just not buying it. We as Americans are at a loss today, as these two car company's don't offer us a choice to go along with what is being offered today.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Empty Re: AMC-AMX, now there was a car

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm

I get the impression that you really like the AMC AMX! I congratulate you on hanging on to your car for so long. We had a kid in high school who had the 69 AMX. His mom bought it for him, I don't think he really knew what he had, drove it like a girley boy. Never hot rodding or racing it. It sure did look nice in the School parking lot!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 am

I enjoyed your story Eddy.  Brought back memories of my Dads 1953 Nash and many Ramblers.  The Nash, we called them Nash Cans took us from New Hampshire to LA in 1954.  A comfortable long distance cruiser but not a performance baby.  

AMC-AMX, now there was a car 1953_n10

Yes, Nash and Hudson merged forming American Motors Corporation AMC.

PS:  I drove all my cars like a girley guy Rene. Smile  I sold my bought new pampered 1985 RX-7GSL to a beautiful Italian 20's something girl who wrapped it around a telephone pole two weeks later.  She drove it like a guy girley.  Same for a fellow that bought my 1974 Corvette, and a kid that bought my my 1969 Mustang.  Good cars that went directly to the salvage yard.  

Bob

Last edited by rsv1cox on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:45 am

rsv1cox wrote:and a kid that bought my my 1969 Mustang.  Good cars that went directly to the salvage yard.  

Bob

Bob,

Any pictures of the '69 Mustang?

DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 pm

DrCox wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:and a kid that bought my my 1969 Mustang.  Good cars that went directly to the salvage yard.  

Bob

Bob,

Any pictures of the '69 Mustang?

Only good pictures I have of the one I bought for my wife back in 1969 taken from frames from an 8mm movie.

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Moms_m10
AMC-AMX, now there was a car Moms_m11

Same car, much later taken just before I sold it.

AMC-AMX, now there was a car 1969_m10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:08 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Only good pictures I have of the one I bought for my wife back in 1969 taken from frames from an 8mm movie.

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Moms_m10

Bob,

Because I do no want to hijack Eddy's thread, I'll just guess that the model you purchased for your wife was a '69 Standard Fastback. Nice whitewalls with wheel covers and color.

Now back to the original poster Eddy hoping for images of his '68 AMX to be posted.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Empty amc-amx-now-there-was-a-car

Post  Eddy Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Any one that can help me to post some pictures here, I still can't figure this out. Maybe I could send to someone as an e-mail and they can post for me Thanks
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Eddy wrote:Any one that can help me to post some pictures here, I still can't figure this out. Maybe I could send to someone as an e-mail and they can post for me Thanks

Eddy,

Send them to me and I'll post.

Sent you my email in a private message to your CoxEngineForum mailbox.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:40 pm

AMC's AMX "American Motors EXperimental" car was one fine design and performer. Tough to hold onto a car all these years. Great job and looking car Eddy!!!

AMC-AMX, now there was a car LWD2B7M

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Jpd6G3M

AMC-AMX, now there was a car CtS5XgJ

AMC-AMX, now there was a car JnPFjYy
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Wow, Nice looking AMX.  You sure have kept it nice. And, by looking at your garage your an avid AMC fan.

Thanks for sharing those pictures.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Beautiful car Eddy! I've always had a soft-spot in my heart for the American Motors brand. They definitely had their cool cars back in the day. We had an AMC dealer in my hometown of Franklin, MA. "Vendetti Motors" was likely responsible for ordering the towns' AMC Matador police interceptors around 1974. Back then; the other popular options were Ford "Galaxy", Chevrolet "Impala" and Plymouth "Fury".

The AMC Matador didn't have a reputation for performance... but the police-interceptor package was formidable..

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Amc_1910
AMC-AMX, now there was a car D70_3510

gee.... what a coincidence..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

AMC-AMX, now there was a car Empty amc-amx-now-there-was-a-car

Post  Eddy Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks to all of the great people here, your comments are humbly appreciated, and to Dr. Cox, a personal Thank You for posting my pictures for me, Thank you.  I have one other AMC car, I bought and ordered it new. 1973 Javelin AMX, 401 CI engine, Bog Warner 4-Speed manual, functional cowl induction, most were not fully functional, and that's another story. Thank you all again.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum