Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox?  What did I buy? Cox_ba12

Cox?  What did I buy? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Modelsmodels
by Coxfledgling Today at 12:05 pm

» Ignition Points for Ohlsson 23
by bsadonkill Today at 11:33 am

» Cox P-40 Clone Project - I just can’t leave well enough alone.
by akjgardner Today at 10:32 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:29 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» some pics....
by roddie Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:22 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:58 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 7:30 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by howardhb Yesterday at 7:03 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox?  What did I buy? Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox? What did I buy?

Go down

Cox?  What did I buy? Empty Cox? What did I buy?

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:01 am

The Enya is a .29 for size comparison. Is the Cox a .049 Medallion or maybe a .09?

Cox?  What did I buy? Cox_en12

Cox?  What did I buy? Cox_en13

Cox?  What did I buy? Cox_en14

Sellers pictures and not the best perspective to ID the Cox. A buy @ $43 for everything. Bought it for the oval vintage Enya. Notice the "spark plug" glow plug. Everything else is a bonus.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox?  What did I buy? Empty Re: Cox? What did I buy?

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:40 am

Yep, Medallion .049
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Thanks Ron, The seller never mentioned the Cox in his ad. The 3 bladed prop looks very Testorish. It's been a long, long time since I have owned a Cox Medallion in .049.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Ha! That's funny, I saw that listing, gave myself a half dozen reasons why I shouldn't bid on it. The last one was "aw, Bob will buy it cause of that cool tapered exhaust outlet. Did not realize that was your bid!! TOO COOL, Nice job Bob. Wink

Reason #3 was that muffler probably won't fit the engine.......Does it?

Last edited by Marleysky on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Reason #3)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Nice score Bob! I bet when that engine was current Enya was still years away from making mufflers, look forward to before/after photos!

Yep, thats a Testors prop from the WWII Fly'em series and i think the tank is an Acme brand?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 am

Mark Boesen wrote:
Yep, thats a Testors prop from the WWII Fly'em series

Not so sure about the prop.  The Fly-em props had knobs on the hub in between each blade to clip on the spinner.  Maybe they've been cut/broken off.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 am

Thanks guys.  I'm hoping that that prop is a Testors, I need one for my P-40.  I'm pretty sure that muffler fits an OS Max, I have an identical one on an OS .35.

The seller may have realized a greater return and reached a larger audience had he featured the Medallion rather than the Enya in his headline.  Glad that he didn't.  Smile  

All good for me, the Medallion and other stuff is just icing on the cake.  I love those bearer MIJ marked oval Enyas.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Arrived Christmas Eve, mail person late due I would think because of Santa deliveries.  I had a great time unpacking all those goodies.

I was most interested in the "spark plug" equipped .29.  Couldn't wait to see if it was good or not so got my meter and...no joy.  The Cox plugs are fine though.  Yes, the muffler is OS Max .09 to .15, I believe that I have a needy one.  Yellow prop is a Tornado 6/3, fuel tank is unmarked brass nicely done.  Long fuel and vent tubes would work nice on a profile.  The medallion is the kicker, it's in great condition.  Thick wall makes it what?  

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_an14

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_an13

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_an12

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_an11

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_an10

Hey,  Merry Christmas Eve to all those not out somewhere celebrating and checking in here.  Son shows up tonight after an evening at wife's family.  Rest of the kids arrive tomorrow.  Baked ham and all the fixings, plus one of those huge Costco pecan pies.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Bob, your Enya has a Champion VG plug in it. While it looks like a spark plug, it's not a spark plug but a glow plug. Champion did make spark plugs for model engines typically they were the V series plugs and had 3/8" threads.I might not be 100% correct on this as a bunch of us were having a discussion about these at the Vintage Combat Festival in New Jersey this past Sept. The VG series uses the standard 1/4-32. The plug you have makes for a great display and should be used as such. They really are hard on batteries due to having a lot of resistance which makes them difficult to light off. My dad used to have a 2 volt wet cell which I believe is what suited these plugs. I can't confirm this, but I believe these were 2 volt plugs. I have used them in vintage engines, but they were not without issue usually quitting. I have about a 1/2 dozen of them from older vintage engines and I keep them for nostalgia purposes. Anytime I come across them, I find them in engines usually around 1950. I don't know when they were introduced and never really sought out a date, I'm just using the engines I have as a way to date them. O&R had their plugs as well as Arden and many of my vintage O&R engines still have their original plugs in working order.

As for your Medallion, you should be able to peek through that slit in the cylinder and take note if it's a single ported cylinder or dual. The single was stock on the Medallion. Many owners swapped them out for a little more power. The thicker walled cylinders were offered later in the production run but the lower portion of these on the Medallions were usually sized for a throttle sleeve. All of my Medallions in the .049 size have the stepped wall cylinders which I believe was typical of early 70's. Merry Xmas , Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:21 am

Thanks Ken,

I got up this morning (Merry Christmas by the way) and with a magnifying glass found that the markings on the plug are quite apparent.  VG with a 2 under it and Champion plus some other markings on the reverse that I can't read.  I'm debating whether to leave it as is and let it rust/corrode away.  (I have others in fine condition.) But knowing me I will probably clean it up for display although it would be fun to run it.  I have found these with both "airfoil" and "oval" ports.  As mentioned the plug is kaput.

The Medallion could use a new venturi body, I have a spare, and it is a #3 cylinder as marked on the inside of one of the exhaust ports which should indicate the R/C version.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:47 am

Merry Christmas to you Bob , Medallion .049 R/C (0.8 cm³)
Manufactured in 1969-1987 (#240-1, ECJ #100)

This Medallion .049 was equipped with with the simple rotating throttle ring mounted on the outside ground cylinder. To compensate the power loss caused by the throttle, the #3 cylinder has a second bypass. Otherwise the engine is identical to the #240 engine shown above. LOOK here http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm i trust them more than the wiki. You should run the Medallion you'll like the way it starts off easily . I have a few of those champion plugs myself never tried to run one but should and as Ken said i have read that they were 2V plugs . Nice presents from self to self Christmas Tree Would like to hear one of those oval exht. Enyas run bet it would talk to you Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:47 pm

I second what Eric said! I would like to see one run as well.

Can you tell me what one weighs? I like to mate old time stunt planes with period engines. While I am a Fox guy I am open to expanding my horizons.

I have 2 .45 6001's and a later .29 and a .19 or .15.

I picked up the .45's because of the power and unique stunt run.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I second what Eric said! I would like to see one run as well.

Can you tell me what one weighs? I like to mate old time stunt planes with period engines. While I am a Fox guy I am open to expanding my horizons.

I have 2 .45 6001's and a later .29 and a .19 or .15.

I picked up the .45's because of the power and unique stunt run.

I checked two .29's 5002's one at 6.60 oz. the other 6.66 perhaps heavier due to the dirt and that "spark plug"/glow plug. Smile

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4510

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4512

But compensating for the dirt and plug is the fact that some previous owner filed the made in japan cast off the bearer. Sad

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4511

I like the .29's.  Greatest variety outside the .19's in my experience. Random pick, some cleaned some left as received. Notice the rough castings of the mid era oval .29's. Early sand casts were nicely done as were the last editions.

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4516

My two .45's. The G8 needs a NVA around here someplace.  B oth TV's I don't have a C/L version.

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4517

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4515

Cox?  What did I buy? _29_4519

I will start another thread soon about running them.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:51 pm

I have a couple of spark plugs.. but I'm pretty sure that they're "sparkers" and not glow.. because of the engines they're installed in..

The 1st photo is of a GHQ "Aero" and the 2nd is an O & R. My uncle gave them to me.

Cox?  What did I buy? Ghq-pl10
Cox?  What did I buy? O__r_p10

I'd not heard of the GHQ.. previously and did a little research. A descendant of the "Weiss/Loutrell" engine companies.

about the GHQ engine

I'll bet that you remember these engines!

Are you looking for spark-plugs for other engines Bob?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:36 pm

6.6oz! Wow thought it would weigh more. That's pretty darn light. Maybe I should snag one of those. Thanks for taking the time to weigh that Bob!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox?  What did I buy? Empty Ghq

Post  dave nance Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:40 pm

I have a Ghq with an aluminum prop, can send some pics if u want.dave nance Richmond va
dave nance
dave nance
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:08 am

You don't see too many running examples of a GHQ. Last year due to my son's interest, many of us in the club pulled out the sparkers. The Super Cyclone .60, O&R .60, Anderson Spitfire .65, Brown Junior  not too mention many others. These are LOUD! Not that glow isn't, it's just that some of them have a ear piercing bark to them. I should mention the Fox .59 glow which is about the loudest damn engine on the planet. We have one person with a GHQ and it's missing some needed parts which is in the process of being restored. We had some flying examples as well. Unfortunately, we took a sparker and used it on glow. The pilot flying  forgot that the time of flight is seriously compromised between gas and glow and smashed the hell out of it in a overhead maneuver when the engine quit.  That rendered our test bed plane for sparkers to kit form again and no one has pursued building another. Our plane was a Super Duper Zilch.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:55 am

I'm liken the old sparkers, looking for a nice Dennymite now for a tether car project. Also looking for an Anderson and a Hornet. Woody Bartelt has parts for most old sparkers, is he cheap, no
just his catalog is 24$. His web site is Woody Engines

http://www.woodysengines.com

Cox?  What did I buy? Denny210

Cox?  What did I buy? 6_of_613
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:56 am

Bob, sorry to have led the thread astray. I do have a photo that you might like though.

Imagine running one of these....!!

Cox?  What did I buy? Ghq_sp10

The "H" on my G.H.Q. engine's sparkplug stands for "Hurleman".

GHQ's have a bad reputation unfortunately.. but if you do enough reading, you'll understand why. The original design was decent.. but was bought from Loutrel by Bernie Winston (AHM-NY) and altered a bit. Engines, engine-kits and engine-plans were sold. You stood a chance if you didn't buy an assembled engine from AHM. Unfortunately, many people did.. and of those; a large percentage likely had little engine knowledge. Engine "kits" in the hands of an engine-builder/machinist provided an engine that would run.. but these craftsmen represented a tiny percentage, compared to what AMH sold to the general public. I've read that the GHQ "Aero" was designed to run clockwise.. but would run in either direction.. Huh...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

No problem roddie, threads go astray we all learn something different.

I started to evaluate the Enya .29 this morning.  Really locked up, took a lot of heat to free it, even the NV.  Removed the "sparker" 3/8" body vice 5/16".  It looks good but meter shows open.  Same for my other V2 Champion on my Rogers ignition.  Heavy duty coil, the 2V must stand for 2 volts as Ken indicated.  I tried to light it with 1 1/2V in hopes for a miracle, didn't happen.

Cox?  What did I buy? Enya_s10

Messy engine.  Look at that intake.  The NVA too, got a lot of trash out of there in hopes to run it gunked up for the sake of all you run 'em how you gotum guys!!

Cox?  What did I buy? Enya_s13

Cox?  What did I buy? Enya_s12

Looks like someone trimmed the prop shaft.  First one I have seen done this way.  Also note the hated pliers marks on the drive washer.

Cox?  What did I buy? Enya_s15 

Cox?  What did I buy? Enya_s11

As soon as I solve my test stand fuel supply problem, I will run it or attempt to.

I'm thinking an one oz plastic pill bottle with a hole drilled in the bottom and a length of silicone fuel line to the NVA all set in a one inch spade bit drilled hole inside a 2X4 affixed to the B&D workmate that you see in the background.  I gave up on my old fuel tank while trying to run that Enya .15 alluded to in another post.  Complicated... Smile

Cox?  What did I buy? Enya_s14
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Bob assuming that sparkplug looking glow plug does have an OPEN I think I would be tempted to fix it....

Assuming also that the most likely OPEN is the end of the coil ...for the ground to the plug body

If I could prove that true, then I need to re weld the end of the coil to the plug body...

Clean clean clean...then tenderly uncoil enough for a leg to the body

a 12 VDC battery (Think lawn mower or car) can be grounded (-) to the body and a "whisker" of similar metal as the (+)electrode...

I would cannibalize a known bad glow plug in excess for this "whisker"

Some 4 handed operation to ensure the new leg was firmly down on the clean plug body

At the very end of the new leg to body contact----an ver brief "touch" with the whisker electrode should weld the New Leg down to the body
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Yes, It's as open as the void between my two ears Fred.  

And that whisker weld,  my fingers oscillate at a frequency commiserate with Mom and Dad rabbits making little bunnies.  Probably out of the question.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Yes, It's as open as the void between my two ears Fred.  

And that whisker weld,  my fingers oscillate at a frequency commiserate with Mom and Dad rabbits making little bunnies.  Probably out of the question.  Smile

Bob

That made me laugh hard Bob!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Yes, It's as open as the void between my two ears Fred.  

Bob

That made me laugh hard Bob!

That's funny Ron,  I was just coming back to change it to something like "my hands shake pretty bad."  Guess I will leave it as is now in hopes that I don't run off the forum knowing that not all here are country boys....... Smile  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Bob you old butt...I snorted a good slug of Black Velvet out my nose

Gawd I love this forum!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum