Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Cox_ba12

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

BJMR Twin Lizzie

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Empty Re: BJMR Twin Lizzie

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:49 am

fredvon4 wrote:Bob I am a few days from watching my recorded copy of Polar Express

I have my pure silver Rain Deer bell

I have my printed for me ticket

I have my House coat with hole in pocket

I have sent half dozen Santa Phred gifts around the world

Family will humor me and attend Christmas Mass with me at St Mary's Catholic local church with me

I BELIEVE

High on my Christmas viewing list too Frfed  (My flying fingers typo but leaving it, kinda like it)

Also:

It Happened on 5th Avenue - (TCM 8pm 23 Dec.)

It's a Wonderful Life

The Bishops Wife - (TCM 8pm 24 Dec.)

A Charlie Brown Christmas

The other Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 am

Just to answer the original question directly, no, neither of the two BMJR Twin Lizzie kits I bought came with any covering materials
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:11 am

Well my buddy Frank got the video up and I just watched it. It was a lot of fun that afternoon. A bit cold as the sun was just going down. The Dakota is flying very well for now, who knows as it sits through the winter. Not uncommon for the dope to twist up the wings a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXswFsWgr0w   I have a Sniffer on the table right now 2/3d's built. I'm hoping to get that completed and possibly flown prior to the years end.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:30 am

I really enjoyed the video Ken

fun stuff
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 am

What a nice flying little FF airplane Ken. You really have the timing and flight set-up right.

And Fred, I watched "The Polar Express" again last night. Kid has a P-38 model hanging from his bedroom ceiling. Gotta like the kid.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:14 am

GOTTA LOOK FOR THAT

funny how the more I watch a series or movie I always SEE new things
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:28 am

Clapping Clapping That was really good , best i have seen it fly . It sure has a lot of left turn in the rudder and didn't seen to go as far away after power off . Nice !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:56 pm

The left turn is caused by the engine and not the rudder. The rudder is the opposite direction so when the power cuts it goes to the right. I can open up the spiral a bit using small rudder adjustments. However, this day I had the prop on correctly and what this does is pick the nose up high and kicks the aft end to the left harder. Keep in mind this is how the Dakota was designed to fly, tight circles to the left and comes out to the right. It was designed for schoolyard flying.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:47 am

Thanks Ken that clears up some of my thoughts , It did just like it was designed then , Glad you could get it sorted out it looks good fling around all on its on .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks for posting video Ken, amazing, perfect flights, getting me fired up. I can only hope mine flies that well. I have been very busy with life's responsibilities, not much time to post here but things should calm down soon, just wanted to check in and congratulate you on the FF's.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Fred, couldnt wait anymore, opened the package you sent. Was not at all what I expected. Everything I need to cover the Lizzie and more. You are truly an altruistic person, if everyone was like you in this world it would be a much better place! Thank you so much, you made my Christmas real.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:12 pm

I built the BMJR Sniffer. I covered it today. For some craaaaaaaazy reason, my son talked me into covering the plane with Polyspan. Reason being is that the Sniffer has a undercambered wing. If I did Monokote the underside, I would have to CA the Monokote to the ribs so that it would stay and not shrink off of them. I used the Mod Podge method and brushed a thin coat on all the ribs. Let it dry and then ironed on the Polyspan. This worked incredibly well. I had the wing covered within about 1.5 hours. I completed the fuse and managed to get 2 coats of dope on it as well. This was a good day to get this thing almost completed.

I've witnessed Fred's generosity on here over the past few years. It really is nice to see that. Nicely done Fred.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:20 pm

Ken, did you finish the Sniffer? I would like to see it.
I got a good start on the Lizzie over the last few days think Ill start a new thread, because Im going to have some questions when its time to cover it, hopefully you can help. Fred sent me several different materials and some tools, Ill post pics of that too. I only have experience with tissue.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:20 am

For the most part, I did complete the Sniffer. The wing on the sniffer isn't a symmetrical airfoil. The bottom of the wing is undercambered. Against my better judgement, I used Polyspan. This is a synthetic that is stronger than silkspan. I used Mod Podge to adhere it to the frame. This is a glue like product similar to white glue but it's thick. I used a artist brush and applied a small bead to all the rib tops on the bottom. Let it dry and iron on the covering and it melts it right into the weave making a very tight bond.I applied two coats of dope to the covering but the weather took a wet nasty turn and I haven't been able to brush it on without it blushing due to the dampness.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:19 pm

The Polyspan is taking multiple coats of dope. I have about 6 coats on the wing now which are nitrate. I will switch to butyrate on the next couple. Once again, the cold means I need to really thin it and I keep running outside when I can. Quick slap on some dope and place it in my detached garage to gas off a bit. I then rescue the pieces from the cold and back into the house. In all this craziness, I had some Jap tissue which I started to cut some stars from. I really don't know what I was thinking as this is time consuming in itself. Dope the stars on and keep building coats. The fuse is done in Sig Lite Coat and it currently has 4 coats on it and it needs a additional over the yellow stripe I painted on.

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Dscn3042

Debating on some stars on the fuse.

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Dscn3043

Stab is in need of some blue stars. Rudder is in the process of being doped. The rudder is a part of the dethermalizer as it glues in between the two center ribs and the rubber band passes through a hole in the front of the rudder

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Dscn3045

I've enjoyed building this and this plane is extremely light in fact too light in my honest opinion. I even opted for heavier sheeting throughout as this came with 1/32" and I switched to 1/16" I even beefed up the front with 1/4" ply F-1 vs the 1/16" ply that came with it not too mention other selected pieces to beef up the landing gear area
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 pm

Awesome, going to be another beautiful model, cant wait to see it done and your flying vid. Hilarious that you need to keep running out to breath, thats some dedecation! Must have given you the idea for stars. Too light? Isnt supposed to "sniff" thermals?
Lizzie is coming along, missing some parts out of kit but so far Brian has been very responsive. I must say this kit is definatley more involved than the Dakota but Im enjoying it. I would be posting pics but Im having issues with phone. Thanks for the update Ken, keep us posted.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:46 pm

Was able to post pics via my wifes phone.
This model definately leaves gaps for interpretation on plan and instructions but it makes it interesting. Guess its things I should know but so far Ive figured it out it think. Still have some shaping to do. You can see some covering I got from Fred in the background, more to come on this later, Ill be ready to cover next week (going out of town this weekend). I also need to trade a new Pee Wee with throttle control for std pee wee that I want to use on this plan, guess Ill post that on here at some point.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 pm

BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Lizzie12
BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Lizzie13
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:20 am

Wow the covering you been struggling with Looks darn good to me shows the plane off , what's the W/S on that baby ? firstwordisee Your plane has famed out Nicely ! Looking forward to the covering . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:41 am

Just a note to say that I'm enjoying this video.  The Twin Lizzie reminds me so much of the French Broussard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Holste_MH.1521_Broussard
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 am

Not really knowing what the plane was, I fear I sent the wrong stuff, hope Ken can suggest what to buy are use of what I sent

3 rolls standard new type ( less than 5 years old) MonoKote
Several sheets, maybe 8 or more, of Phil Cartier SLC cut by Phil and edge marked from Lil Hacker kits
2 Coverite Irons. Big one and small trim...but forgot to include sole temp gage
A heaterizer*. I sincerely hope Tracey reads and shares the instructions for

*Heaterizer is a very inexpensive small heat gun really intended for flow soldering. A little longer than the typical Batter Dremel tool

Much easier for me vs a normal heat gun for covering shrinking because of its light weight, and focused heat air

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10326

Seeing the plane now I suspect the best covering is tissue or some version of "xxxx"span" and dope especially for the fuselage. I suspect with practice the SLC would work on the wing using 8 pieces....unfortunately a serious 2 person 4 hands job on a delicate wing
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks getback.
Fred I believe you are spot on. BJMR has had most success with tissue on this model finished with Rustoleum clear. Ill dope frame. I used EZE dope on the Dakota and the stuff works pretty good despite some of the comments I read, I couldnt find anything to complain about. No smell, easy cleanup, dries quick. Good call on the wing it is very delicate. I ordered some Jap. tissue this morning. I'm very eager to try the items you sent me though so I guess that means another model is going to be needed. Thanks for keeping me locked in!
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:00 pm

SLC is a good covering. Phil can no longer obtain what you sent Fred. He now provides a thicker mil version. I haven't seen Phil in several months as he was having some health issues but now seems to be over that. Phil provided me with some of the last long length rolls of SLC he had. The Lil Hacker kit was nice because he gave way more than needed to cover and if you elected to not use it, you had enough for a larger plane. I'm not a fan of silkspan and Polyspan for that matter, it rips and tears and your screwed.
However, what many have been doing was to adhere the Polyspan and then iron SLC over it. It's a lot of work double covering but there really isn't that much of a weight penalty and the SLC is quite strong. It also makes everything under the SLC shine very nicely including the raw Polyspan. I probably now have 8 coats of dope on my wing and this takes nearly 45 min to do each time. I can't say enough about iron on covering, it works great and despite what many think, it works great on 1/2A's and freeflight models.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:50 pm

SLC is a good covering. Phil can no longer obtain what you sent Fred. He now provides a thicker mil version. I haven't seen Phil in several months as he was having some health issues but now seems to be over that. Phil provided me with some of the last long length rolls of SLC he had. The Lil Hacker kit was nice because he gave way more than needed to cover and if you elected to not use it, you had enough for a larger plane. I'm not a fan of silkspan and Polyspan for that matter, it rips and tears and your screwed.
However, what many have been doing was to adhere the Polyspan and then iron SLC over it. It's a lot of work double covering but there really isn't that much of a weight penalty and the SLC is quite strong. It also makes everything under the SLC shine very nicely including the raw Polyspan. I probably now have 8 coats of dope on my wing and this takes nearly 45 min to do each time. I can't say enough about iron on covering, it works great and despite what many think, it works great on 1/2A's and freeflight models.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:54 pm

Tissue finally came yesterday so covered the wing tonight. Experimenting with all kinds of methods from what I have learned here. Purple glue stick, alcohol, EZE dope, water, Jap. tissue. So far its going smoothly, and I am happy. BJMR Twin Lizzie - Page 2 Lizzie14
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next