Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Today at 2:32 am

» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 am

» Just found this
by batjac Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Fitting Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fitting Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 am

Roddie. I know you said the screws tightened up ok, but I've found when removing the choke tube from a Surestart backplate that my screrws bottomed & needed shortening, or a washer under the head.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fitting Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:21 am

Roddie, I've got one of my engines in that way.

To screw, you must remove the cylinder, screw it in and then replace the cylinder.
To prevent a screw from passing, you must place in these holes, these servo rings Du-Bro. Thumbs Up
Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Dsc02310
Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Screw10Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Foto1644
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks fella's.. good tips! I like the servo-mount inserts Mauricio! Thumbs Up My airplanes almost all have firewalls drilled for mounting the backplate for the fuel-line to be on the R/H side where I usually have a wedge-tank. This keeps the fuel-line as short as possible.

I really don't know why I chose to orient the cylinders "upright" on all six engines.. and I'm going to re-orient them all to run outboard. I honestly don't want to remove the cylinder to mount an engine.. plus; orienting it horizontally helps to protect it in a crash.

This triplane had its cylinder mounted "inboard".. when I flew it 25 years ago. It had balance issues (tail-heavy.. Affraid or WOW! ) so it only flew once.. and crashed.

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Rog_cu10

The damage was minor and I've made some modifications.. but haven't flown it since.

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Rog_cu12

Those top/bottom wing-flaps have been removed, saving .4oz. of weight behind the C of G.

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Flap-w10

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Rog_cu11

I'll orient the cylinder outboard this time when I try to fly it. Those were the early days when I knew even less than I do now.. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

One more time.. Rolling Eyes (humor me please..) Back-plates have been re-oriented for mounting all-four screws to the firewall with a horizontal outboard cylinder configuration. (What a maroon.... Bugs Bunny..)

Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Back-e23
Fitting  Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..  - Page 2 Back-e24

See that stubby screwdriver? OCD Roddie likes its' ratcheting function. I start each screw by turning it "out" until I feel the screw-threads engage with a "click".. then I tighten each a few turns. I do this to all four screws until they're close to seating. Then I set the ratchet-driver in reverse to act as a "clutch". When the ratchet clicks while tightening.. I switch to a diagonal screw in the pattern. When they all "click".. I switch-off the ratchet and tighten gradually in the same alternating sequence.. (the way I was taught to change a car tire..) without being too heavy-handed.. After all they're only 2-56 size screws.. The PH1 insert-bit fits these screw-heads nicely. The case-screws were sourced from Cox International (Bernie).. as were the back-plates.

The short-style needles and Mylar reeds were sourced from ExModel engines (Matt). I have a few long-style needles.. in the event that I want to try a choke-tube. The short needles are too short to work with them.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2