Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sad, but true Cox_ba12

Sad, but true Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:32 am

» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by Coxfledgling Today at 8:09 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sad, but true Empty
Live on Patrol

Sad, but true

Go down

Sad, but true Empty Sad, but true

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 pm

I had to re-cable a Glideslope antenna tower, when I removed the weather head I found a bird nest with 4 hatchlings in it. Not knowing what to do and seeing as the work had to be completed I removed the nest and set it off in the shade until I could figure out what to do with it. About 2hrs later I went over to the nest and all four birds were gone. I did find this though.

Sad, but true V608j29

I guess things happen for a reason..... I felt bad at first, but at least they didn't die in vain. The snake is a Speckled King snake and was totally cool with me handling it. Probably too full to care.

Ron

Last edited by cribbs74 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sad, but true Empty Re: Sad, but true

Post  Jason_WI Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

What's that green stuff on the ground behind you? I remember seeing that stuff last october here but now its scarse. Still a pile of white stuff in the front yard.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Jason_WI wrote:What's that green stuff on the ground behind you? I remember seeing that stuff last october here but now its scarse. Still a pile of white stuff in the front yard.

Lol, it's Spring in the South. Flowers,trees budding and I am sneezing all day. Almost 85 degrees in Little Rock AR today.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:45 am

Yep...all part of the "Cycle" !

Sad, but true 1_23

Sad, but true 2_22

Sad, but true 4_15

Sad, but true 4_512

Sad, but true 5_15

Sad, but true 6_18

Sad, but true 7_13
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 am

That's too bad about the bird's nest. They're all over the place at this time of year. Don't worry, there really are enough of them, Mr. Snake just didn't have to work as hard for that day's meal. We're watching several pairs raising their families in our yard this Spring.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am

One way to pacify a snake is to place it in a cooler with some ice.

(Actually King snakes are harmless)

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am

SuperDave wrote:One way to pacify a snake is to place it in a cooler with some ice.

SD

Harmless yes as in non-poisonous. They all bite though. I have been bitten by plenty of snakes. I was a very curious child.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

Ron:

Keeping King snakes "cool" does wonders for their personalities. Wink

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:17 am

cribbs74 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:One way to pacify a snake is to place it in a cooler with some ice.

SD

Harmless yes as in non-poisonous. They all bite though. I have been bitten by plenty of snakes. I was a very curious child.

Me too...my poor mom...she was not impressed at all with my experiments to demonstrate how a terrified lizard will run in place on a tile floor...but let the sucker get traction, and he's gone !!!

A full-grown Blue-Tailed Skink will ALSO put the chomp to you pretty good...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 am

Kim wrote:A full-grown Blue-Tailed Skink will ALSO put the chomp to you pretty good...

We had lots of those around the farm, but, among us kids, they were rumored to be poisonous --- one bite and you're a goner. Probably explains why so many met their demise to BB guns, sling-shots, sticks, rocks or anything else we could lay our hands on --- all in the drive to keep the world a safer place. It was only quite later in life that I discovered that the bluetail was the only thing that was at risk.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:48 am

andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:A full-grown Blue-Tailed Skink will ALSO put the chomp to you pretty good...

We had lots of those around the farm, but, among us kids, they were rumored to be poisonous --- one bite and you're a goner. Probably explains why so many met their demise to BB guns, sling-shots, sticks, rocks or anything else we could lay our hands on --- all in the drive to keep the world a safer place. It was only quite later in life that I discovered that the bluetail was the only thing that was at risk.

Yeah...glad to see them now. Anything that eats bugs is welcome on the hill. Even had one living in the shop last year:

Sad, but true Skinks10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm

I encourage critters as they keep things in check. I attempt to educate folks whenever possible as some folks will kill snakes just because they exist.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm

I get black water snakes on my pond. If they are smart 'nough to stay in the weeds, or under the pines, and out of the way of the mower when mowing I leave them alone.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/blackracer/tabid/6555/Default.aspx
I think maybe black racers, I haven't examined one closely.

I have not had any in my garage unlike the toads and bullfrogs...

I have had some worm snakes get all the way inside. The cat was NOT impressed.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/easternwormsnake/tabid/6622/Default.aspx

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

cribbs74 wrote:I encourage critters as they keep things in check. I attempt to educate folks whenever possible as some folks will kill snakes just because they exist.

I deal with people that way about bats. the only bats in my area of ohio are small brown bats. They eat their weight in mosquito size insects every night.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm

pkrankow wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:I encourage critters as they keep things in check. I attempt to educate folks whenever possible as some folks will kill snakes just because they exist.

I deal with people that way about bats. the only bats in my area of ohio are small brown bats. They eat their weight in mosquito size insects every night.

Phil

Yes!!!! I know Phil. Drives me nuts. I really need to install some Bat boxes as the mosquitos are nasty around my place due to the still creek behind my house.

When I was stationed in San Antonio I was about 2 miles from Natural Bridge Caverns. Right around dusk I could walk outside and watch thousands of bats swooping through the sky eating bugs. It was a neat sight, I was very grateful as my garden was much better off.

When I was stationed in Ohio, bats used to get caught in the hangar and I would scoop them out and let them go before they were eradicated.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 pm

When I was stationed in San Antonio I was about 2 miles from Natural Bridge Caverns. Right around dusk I could walk outside and watch thousands of bats swooping through the sky eating bugs. It was a neat sight, I was very grateful as my garden was much better off.

Ron

I loved being stationed at Ft Sam. I would not mind moving back to that area some day.
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:43 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
pkrankow wrote:

Phil

Yes!!!! I know Phil. Drives me nuts. I really need to install some Bat boxes as the mosquitos are nasty around my place due to the still creek behind my house.

When I was stationed in Ohio, bats used to get caught in the hangar and I would scoop them out and let them go before they were eradicated.

Ron

Bats have surprisingly good vision. Turn on some lights inside and out and most will leave quickly.

http://www.batconservation.org/

Blasted woodpeckers destroyed my bat house. I haven't repaired or replaced it since it was in the way of my flying field when I took up flying again. I plan to fix it and get it set up again.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:43 am

My wife hates snakes! One day I came home from work and she had encountered one and tried to kill it. Asked me to check if she had succeeded. I found that she had hit it just behind the head with a brand new hoe so hard that she buried the head of the hoe and broke the handle. I acknowledged that she had indeed killed the (garden) snake. :-)

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 am

I myself try not to kill any natural creature that is not a threat to me or my family. A simple call to the local animal handling unit will get these animals safely re-located so they can live happily ever after. Remember one thing...these animals intentions are to obtain FOOD and NOT to harm us!! If your not-sure as to the species of the animal that is on your property, and you have no knowledge as to the proper handling of these beautiful creatures, PLEASE!! Just make the phone call to the local animal re-location centre and keep your pets and loved one's in the house until the proper authorities arrive and deal with the situation correctly. If your in an area where this kind of situation is frequent, find the phone number of these types services on-line by doing a little research, and keep the number on your fridge so all family members have access to the number if needed. Stay Safe...especially with snakes. A little research as to the poisonous species and their physical traits that are common to your area is a good thing to learn.
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I just liberated a tree frog from our sink drain...
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I have less fear of animals in the natural world than I do of "animals" in the human world.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm

SuperDave wrote:I have less fear of animals in the natural world than I do of "animals" in the human world.

SD
You just need to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or try to confront an animal that you think is harmless and your whole world changes really fast. I speak of this because a group of bears ripped my car trunk to shreds and lucky I was not there while they were having their box lunch party. Maybe these bears were Ford fans and just hated Chevy's!!
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down