Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Cox_ba12

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by Coxfledgling Today at 8:09 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Patton Steet Pirate Pilots": Update 12-13-13

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Empty "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots": Update 12-13-13

Post  Kim Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 am

My friend Allen Brickhaus has assembled a notorious band of young control-line pilots over in the wilds of Southern Illinois.

Allen is a teacher, hot-rod builder, and most applicable for our purpose here, a Champion Control-Line Flyer.  He is a spark plug for most of the control-line events held over in Western Kentucky, and helps the club there to maintain it's golf green-quality flying circles.

Apparently not sated with all this activity, he is introducing some local kids from his hometown of Golconda, Illinois to 1/2A Control Line Flying.  

"The Patton Street Pirate Pilots" are building and flying their own .049-powered planes, under the tutelage of a guy that can show them how to get the most out of a balsa-hauling castor-slinger.

I'll be posting more notes here as his gang of circle-turners progresses.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 1_patt10

Last edited by Kim on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:20 am; edited 9 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Empty Re: "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots": Update 12-13-13

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Isn't that cool. Do they need any more donations?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Empty Re: "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots": Update 12-13-13

Post  Kim Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Isn't that cool. Do they need any more donations?
Hey Ron,

Thanks!! I'll ask Allen if they could use more.  A this point, they number 7 kids, and Allen has them flying whip-line models, building circle time while they finish their individual powered models.

I'm gonna get back on track here and post some updates of their progress.  The Pirate Pilots will also featured in Flying Models and and Cox Engines Quarterly.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Patton Street Pirate Pilots

From Allen's notes these past weeks:

Tonight we met at 4pm like we always have for about two months. Today we had a competition with the whip glider. Each got to bring the model off the ground and travel two laps and then settle down neatly on the grass. After that they all flew three laps. The final set was of four laps. We then had a tie for second and third and had a fly off with three laps being the goal. Cole Fisher, off to your right side of the picture was our first place pilot, with Timothy second, kneeling on the back row left and T. J. back row right in third.

Next week we will work on sets of four, five and six laps with smooth take offs and landings. They will also bring their newest paper hand launch glider for another set of timed flights and spot landings.

I hope the faithfully printed envelopes of thank you letters got to their destinations. Each donator was sent one. The Ambush kits cut by Doug Vasseur will be in their hands for painting within two weeks and then I will install the bell-crank, horn and pushrod to each one. They are encouraged to paint them how they desire. When the painting is done, I will bolt on a running .049 engine for future flights. They will get their first flights on the Byron Barker and Ken Grasser “Grassroots” trainer before going on to their own models.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Pspp_110

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the Patton Street Pirate Pilots first test hops on the 1/2A SIG Skyray today. The group shot shows pilots left to right: Spencer Hubbard, Brandt Garrison,Timothy Rhoads, T.J. Hubbard, Cole Fisher, Samuel Jones and ready to go pilot Azlynn Jones.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Pspp_210

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Pspp_310

____________________________________________________________________________________

I'll try to update this more frequently as I get notes from Allen.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RK Flyer Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 am

This is a great project! Please keep us posted on their flying and anything that I can donate to help out!

RK Flyer cheers 
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:29 am

Azlynn seems a little unsure of the airplane, great project, have some greenies.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 am

I had been hoping to see some young people's involvement in the hobby here. Technology is all well and good... but kids of this generation need more "hands-on"... other than a phone or video game. I wanted to get my nephews (ages 9 and 11) involved last year... Their Fathers (my 2 younger Brothers...) said they had too many "other" activities going on. It was a disappointing thing to hear.

I will however... "pitch" the idea again. (if at first you don't succeed...) Maybe involving/exposing the boys to a model construction over the Winter, with regular updates on progress would be a catalyst... along with involving them in a Springtime "fun-fly"... We'll see.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Yeah,
Kids do seem totally loaded with so much stuff that they don't have any real "kid time". There were a lot fewer options when I was growing up in a small town, so a kid's pursuits got a lot more focus. While pedaling a bike on my GRIT paper route, I had time to plot and plan my next model.
The art of developing skill and patience can't hold up very well against video games and out-of-package toys.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Kim wrote:Yeah,
Kids do seem totally loaded with so much stuff that they don't have any real "kid time".  There were a lot fewer options when I was growing up in a small town, so a kid's pursuits got a lot more focus.  While pedaling a bike on my GRIT paper route, I had time to plot and plan my next model.
The art of developing skill and patience can't hold up very well against video games and out-of-package toys.
So many great lessons in life can be learned from this hobby. "Patience" for one... balance, visual acuity, coordination, experimentation, tool/building/finishing skills, trouble-shooting/problem-solving, comrade-ship/competition... not to mention organizational skills, methods/planning, a knowledge of mechanical/aerodynamic principals... and oh yes... let' not forget FUN!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Agreed...the "Fun" part runs through all of it. Comradeship was a major part of the fun in our Heyday. We were a small bunch (5-6 kids with my Uncle Wayne trying his best to keep us from hurting ourselves), living in a fairly isolated little town, and never did make it to any contests. That hardly meant that there was no competition.

Through the week, you kept wondering what your adversaries were up to, and what they were gonna spring on you come Sunday afternoon. We daydreamed and connived and, without the constrictions of knowing what WOULDN'T work, often came up some imaginative aircraft. I think Wayne also received an education in NEVER taking you eye off hyper kids fast-revving engines. Over our four or five years of furious ballpark wars, he was chased by broken-line planes, planes without lines, and the occasional planeless engine.

Sunday evenings were for damage assessment before the cycle restarted again. Through all this, mechanical techniques and relationships between controls and balance and all that good stuff slowly started to sink in.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 pm

That's a great story Kim! I love this part of being involved with this forum! I tend to live in the past... because I have such fond memories there. My Dad, my Grandfather (my Dad's Father in-law) and my Uncles (my Dad's Brother in-laws) all flew control-line stunt in the early 60's in Franklin, Massachusetts. A guy named Dave St. John had a Dynajet powered C/L jet model! There was a flier; Louie Mucciarone... nicknamed "Level Louie" who built beautifully finished models... He was so afraid of running out of fuel while "inverted"... that he had landing gear on the top and bottom of one of his planes!

My Dad was also a "finish" man... I was probably 5 years old... but I still remember the beautiful Waco "Cabin" he built, with the red cylinder head sticking out of a spun aluminum cowling... (probably a McCoy .19) and the wheel pants. It was a pretty airplane... beige w/red trim. Then there were the Veco models... a "Renegade" and "Warrior"; both powered by a Veco .35C that I now have, mounted on his old Warrior. Probably 20 years ago; after a long absence from the hobby... he built a Sterling "Monocoupe"... (reminiscent of the Waco Cabin) white w/red trim, which received an O.S. .25 I believe... My Brother has that model... it has never flown.

I don't think that there's a kid alive... who hasn't marveled at seeing an airplane land or take off. I am still mesmerized by it at 53 years old. I always look up in the sky when I hear a plane... and I'll run outside when I hear the unmistakable low roar of a radial engine!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:07 am

Yeah, we got similar tracks alright, along with many others here. My "Retirement Job" at the local airport gives me a chance to KEEP diving back into my childhood, along with a network of enabling friends who call me when "something good" is on the ramp. I too still burst out the door at the sound of airplane engines, especially if they "Sound Round".

We would probably have built a shrine for Dynajet Dave back in the day! We'd never seen or heard one, but were fascinated by their black & white photos in Wayne's magazines, and of course, imagined having one of those things!

This forum DOES feed a lot of those old memories, and is quite similar to my old ballpark days in that you never know WHAT is gonna show up next. It can spoil a guy somewhat though, in that you get used to the mutual respect and general friendliness of the place.
The last few times I've ventured to the other main forums (NOT including Matt's excellent .049 Collectors Group, of course), I quickly grew disgusted with the personal attacks and the much-dreaded ego-puffing laundry-lists of "Why I'm So Great". Like a sip of soured milk, once is more than a enough.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Kim, I know what you mean... and to keep things in perspective with this threads topic, that sort of behavior doesn't teach good lessons to young people who are curious or involved in this hobby. We are supposed to be setting good examples for them through sharing, helping and encouraging. I've read some awful comments on YouTube vids... Yes some people are just ignorant, but some of them do have modeling knowledge... and just come-off as "know-it-alls".

I was taught to respect people... and my children are all very polite and respectful young people. I'm very proud of them, and if there's one thing I've done right in this life; it's having taught them that.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Allen's keeping his Pirate Pilots on the ball !!!  Got this update today:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Patton10

We got rain today so I made a hasty change of plans.  We were scheduled for to fly their paper hlg’s and our small Skyray on tether lines, but we could not get outside.  Instead, Watt Moore of the Metrolina club near Huntersville sent me some AMA Cub rubber powered models and they received their Cub kits and the goal of having them fly next Tuesday.

John E Craig was the first to reach me with those thin Cya hinges and I have plenty of advice to make them only 1/8 to 1/4  inch wide for insertion into the hinge area of our Ambush model the kids will paint in the coming future.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Patton11

This is what Bill Netzeband’s Ambush looks like.

Thanks again to all for your help with the kids.
Allen Brickhaus
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 pm

4 words... I like that "Ambush"!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Forwarded from an Email today:

Doug Vasseur built seven Bill Netzeband Ambush models for my Patton Street Pirate Pilots.  I supplied the wood and he supplied the building skill.  

The kids have accomplished some work for me and we will be presenting each one an Ambush for their first powered model.  They must paint them with a fuel proof paint before they are given each a working Cox .049 engine.  

So many people have helped this group by supplying hands, engines, lines, etc.  Thank you all so much.  

We will meet next Tuesday and see how their AMA rubber powered Cubs will fly and then we will again put more time on the tether/whip Skyray outside.  The rain kept us from flying last Tuesday.

Hope the weekend goes well for all of you.

Good luck to all flying contests this weekend.

I am subbing for nine straight days and could not make it to Huntersville NC this weekend.

Allen

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 1_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Another Update from Allen and his Pirate Pilots !

The Patton Street Pirate Pilots met an hour ago and we have four out of seven kids who completed their AMA Cubs, and two who did not show. We did a three round timed event and Spencer Hubbard won with all three flights right around the 6 second mark. Thus his best combined time in the yard and down the street were around 19 seconds. I gave them the rear pins today and mounted the rubber motors I built from store bought bags of rubber bands.

Next week we hope to have all nine done and flying plus we will work with the Skyray whip powered model for events of three, four, five and six laps. The neat thing about using a whip powered model is that if they get dizzy, they can just let the model settle down in the grass and rest.

On to next week.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 2_12

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 Untitl10

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 3_12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm

How great is that... keeping the hobby alive... while teaching so many important life lessons!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 am

Just Got This Update From Allen and His Pirate Pilots ! :

The Patton Street Pirate Pilots met today. We fixed AMA Cub rubber powered models with me using the Cya and kicker, and had a three round timed fly-off and Matthew Sherrod won with over 17 seconds on his AMA Cub. His sister was second with over 16 seconds in the three round fly-off. One student could no longer be with us and we will miss him. Two others had to leave to their last flag football game in a town close to ours.

The remainder received their Bill Netzeband designed and Doug Vassuer built Ambush models. Their goal is to paint them with RustOleum spray paint accomplished over a six night spraying set of sessions. We will see how many will return next week with their painted models. Their next step is for me to hinge and add the controls on their Ambush.

Saturday I will be meeting with about four dozen kids on the lower control line circle to fly AMA $1.00 hand launch gliders. We will meet at 9:30am and show them how to trim and fly their new models. Hopefully I can get some pictures. Shown in the picture is standing: Timmy Rhoads, Cole Fisher, Blake Owens and Mary Sherrod (second place pilot today). Kneeling is T.F. Hubbard, Matthew Sherrod (winner today), and Spencer Hubbard.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 1_24
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:01 am

Thank You Kim! I wanna' see what those kids come up with for paint jobs on their Ambush models! Allen's gonna' have his hands full; having to install hinges/controls on 9 planes!

PM sent to you.

Rog
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:00 am

roddie wrote:Thank You Kim! I wanna' see what those kids come up with for paint jobs on their Ambush models! Allen's gonna' have his hands full; having to install hinges/controls on 9 planes!

PM sent to you.

Rog
OH YEAH !!! This deal would make me Freak & Run !!!

The thing about Allen though...he is, of course, patient, but also VERY methodical, both in planning and execution, as you can tell by the Pirate's progression in previous posts. He's one of those people who can put on just enough pressure to sink in some learning, while adding fun-quick things on the side to keep from burning out the kid's enthusiasm. This is just my own take, of course, but it seems to be working for him.

I'm hoping that we can coordinate a good day for me to drive out through the Wilds of Southern Illinois, and catch some video of the Pirates when they have a flying day.

Need to see if they will make me an Honorary Patton Street Pirate Pilot !!!!

Pirate Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 am

lol! You just want to wear the eye patch!lol! 
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:29 pm

duke.johnson wrote:lol! You just want to wear the eye patch!lol! 

ARRRR !!!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Not a Pirate Pilot Update this time, but closely related as Allen and his Band of Do-Gooders continue their Model Airplane Campaign with the younger set:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allen Brickhaus

Three Paducah Aero Modelers joined with a local Cub Scout group today at our field in Paducah. Matt Morin has been our contact for the group and we have planned this day for about two months. It was a bit breezy today but we met at 9:00am and left the field around 11:30am. At least the sun was out and that gave us a very nice day.

The pictures will give an account of the number of Cub Scouts and adults who flew with us today.  The models were $1.00 hand launch gliders purchased from AMA in Munice Indiana this past summer. These are the same models with which we began the Patton Street Pirate Pilots in Golconda.

Enjoy the shots of the day!   Randall Hopkins and Doug Vasseur were the men from the club who helped with the kids, along with the adults from the Cub Scouts.

Check out the group picture and the mass launch shot at the end of the post.

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 1_27

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 2_22

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 3_19

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 4_20

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 5_19

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 6_16

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 7_13

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 8_13

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 9_13

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 10_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:32 pm

This makes me want to build a chuck-glider. There's a couple designs by Bill Dean that I have. My workroom is small and is a dis-organized mess right now... A small glider might be like "chicken soup for the soul"... and may be a catalyst for me to get my shop into some sort of order.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:03 am

An Up-Date from Mr. Allen and his Pirate Pilots:

Our weekly meeting of the Patton Street Pirate Pilots culminated with each
novice pilot getting in two flights on my SIG 1/2A Skyray whip powered
model.  Our newest member is Ethan Hunt and he will begin to work to paint
his Ambush (designed by Bill Netzeband).  Three got theirs painted and I
will assemble those three for next week's meeting.  Thanks again to everyone
who is helping with this adventure.

This class started August 6 of this late summer time.

Allen Brickhaus

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 3_22

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 2_25

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 5_21

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 6_17

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 4_21

patton - "Patton Steet Pirate Pilots":  Update 12-13-13 7_16
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next