Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Cox Minibike Cox_ba12

My Cox Minibike Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Cox Minibike Empty
Live on Patrol

My Cox Minibike

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Happy My Cox Minibike

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:22 am

This is my (about 1/8 scale) motorcycle model i've been working on and the idea was to use this little cox engine i had sitting back home in the shed for some 10 years. I wanted to make it as functional as possible and enjoy every second of discovery and creation along the way. I'm really pleased with the way its shaping up seeing though i had not done any conceptual 3D models or technical drawings prior. I registered on this forum, to not only participate in the cox community, but in the hope that others could enjoy my model, and also in the hope that there's someone who may be able to help me in my hunt for an old cox engine which includes a revving carburetor section. I'm not sure what phase in this engines history it was produced, so whether it was for peewee or the alike i'm not exactly sure, though there's a little information around about it which i'll upload. There must be one out there, right?      
I'm about halfway through/three weeks deep, with some tricky and exciting steps to solve ahead.
I wanted to somehow fit into the model, electric start, power generation, liquid cooling, disc brakes, lights, and a clutch and throttle as on a full scale bike. Im yet to settle down, so i have a limited amount of tools and do not own a lathe, cnc. So, for the most part i hack anything for any little piece that might work.
That said, there's some things i would love to have CNC'd, so this is an appeal to anyone who could cut for me the rims, engine mount, fork clamps, disc brakes, handle bar clamps, rear swing arm, and transmission casing  (most likely combined with the engine mount), and disk brake clamps.    

Thanks & enjoy

My Cox Minibike Img_8410
NOTE: That is not the way the tubing will be setup.

My Cox Minibike Img_8411
My Cox Minibike Img_8412
My Cox Minibike Img_8415
My Cox Minibike Img_8413
My Cox Minibike Img_8414
My Cox Minibike Img_8416
My Cox Minibike Img_8417
My Cox Minibike Img_8418
My Cox Minibike Img_8419
My Cox Minibike Img_8420
My Cox Minibike Img_8421
My Cox Minibike Img_8422

Eyebrows Popcorn
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: My Cox Minibike

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:08 am

Well that's an ambitious project. Affraid or WOW!
Quite an admirable job you're doing there. By the way, welcome to the forum. I hope you find the help you need.

Just one thing that's bothering me. Huh...
You asked about a carburetor, but one of your photos already shows a Choke Tube type carb installed. Apart from this, the only real option for a Cox reed valve engine is an exhaust throttle. I'm not sure you have any other options, except maybe a combination of the two.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:30 am

Very ambitious, pretty cool though.

You are going to run out of space pretty quick with all those add-ons. Or maybe you won't...

Anyway have you considered buying a good quality 1/8 scale model and scavenging parts off of it? It would save you having to manufacture a lot of things.

Ron

Edit: one more thing, there is a clutch setup designed for Cox engines. It's a centrifugal type clutch. It is rather on the large size, but it might be able to be trimmed down for your application.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:07 pm

A Cox motorbike! This is going to be an interesting build.

I like the detail on the model already.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:36 pm

This is really cool! Thumbs Up Great detail, looks like it's going to be fully functional.

Welcome to the forum!

Keep us posted!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. You have quite a unique project in progress. Looks like you have the skills to bring it to completion. The cox engine may be small part of the project. I did not keep any of the information on them but at the last Hobby Show I went to there was a group that specialized in miniature engines and cars. The guy had on display a fully functional drag race car ( rail ) with a small v8 engine. The whole thing was only 3 1/2 ft long, but sounded real nasty when started up!  So, I'm sure there are people out there who can fabricate spoke wheels with disc brakes/calipers ....you'll just have to find them!  
Keep us posted on your progress!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:33 pm

I perused quickly thorough this thread this morning before leaving for work. I really love the frame and front-end! Is this being modeled with a particular full-scale bike in mind.. maybe one you've owned or would like to own?

It looks like you have some room to make decisions on the back-end.. to maybe fit your primary-drive on the output-shaft side.. and final-drive on the opposite side.. sort of like a torque-converter/snow-mobile drive. This might help to balance the bike and give you more options with the final-drive ratio. You'd need to prepare the frame for a pair of bearings to support a cross-shaft. I'll bet you've already though about that.

The centrifugal clutch that Cribbs (Ron) spoke of.. would be an item to seek/source. Try searching Cox/Jerobee engine-drive parts on eBay.. and see if you can find anything. One of our members "overlord" (Lieven.. from France) has recent experience with the Jerobee clutch set-up.. and its' associated parts.. dis/re-assembly.. tuning etc. on a scale-model Corvette that he has, with a similar Cox .049 reed-valve engine. I'm sure he will find your project fascinating!

Please keep us up to date with your progress!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 am

Welcome to the Forum !! I seen this early yesterday didn't know what to think of it BUT, it is VERY COOL ! Looks like who ever made some of the parts you show knew what they were doing . Don't see that you post a location but that will probably help in locating a CNC person to help with the manufacture of needed parts ? I bet Jessie James of West Coast Choppers would bee a candidate for making some hi dollar parts lol! Just Kidding hope your project finds what it needs >> What are your intentions for it when completed ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:38 pm

wow that is a nice project
welcome btw

hod did you get/make that water colling head
and also that radiator

robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Happy Cox Motorcycle Motorbike Model

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:21 am

Excited at the feedback!!  This Site Rocks! cheers
The main points are to enjoy making it and the challenges that come with it, and looking at it when its complete! I'm a long way i think from settling, and as i tend to get deep into my little projects i build to my hearts content, so i can see myself building a box/display.
I myself ride a Yamaha MT-03 (14 model), though i've taken inspiration from this pretty new breed of motorcycles, which seem to cross all boundaries and mix and match styles from whatever goes. They say there was a category created just for the Yamaha MT-03 for example - The Motosport Motard. I love the creativity in the unique bikes i'm seeing over the web though!  Big fan of the retro racer kinda look, and also love the practicality of an adventure bike. Huge Steampunk fan too, so there will be a bit of brass, leather, and maybe a little wood? I think i've chosen a green for the seat?

I was searching for a Venom GPV-1 for parts when i learnt that they've been discontinued, though i was able to get a chain and a ZH Racing wheel adapter for GPV-1 & HOR, along with the Hot Racing Alloy rear swing arm, which i just might work for the look i want. The rest i also just ordered are transmission for the Kyosho HOR. Yeah running the chain from the opposite side "to balance" might be it.
Not totally sure how i will make it electric start and squeeze a magneto in there? At the moment i'm trialing bits i find around the web and in transit i have a geared high torque little motor which could suffice for the starter if the rpm isn't as sad as the other i trialed. Because i know these little Cox engines need a good fast kick to fire up. Originally i hoped to combine the magneto with the starter motor, though i doubt that's going to work, so i might fit it (whatever it is?) behind the engine main gear? No that's where i was putting the start motor drive... hm... Huh...

I made the air intake by chopping into a Zotac GTX560 graphics card, the engine cooler from a boat engine water cooler, with a filed down Babe Bee .049  heatsink. It fit so well i nearly cried! The tank took me about four days all together, and a mounting method and paint for it is not done. Rear swing arm fixture i chopped off a 450 helicopter blade balancer. A few things are but place holders for now just for the purpose of seeing how something else will work and therefore something else may need changing.

Last edited by My Cox Bike on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:37 am

You speak of a magneto, but are you sure you don't mean generator? A magneto is for providing ignition spark, which this doesen't need due to having a glow plug & not a spark plug.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:00 am

That's what i mean. Thanks for the correction.
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:10 am

My Cox Minibike Img_8423
My Cox Minibike Img_8424
My Cox Minibike Img_8425

Last edited by My Cox Bike on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:13 am

My Cox Minibike S!AneDavkoJjERi1Jps8YmIWE92h8A

My Cox Minibike IMG_8447

Last edited by RknRusty on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed image embedding)
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 am

Why not use the starter as an alternator
I do it with my diesel generator
PS diesel would make this project even cooler
But ignore that I am a diesel head
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:40 am

Diesel is definitely something i could think about, but i'm not sure if i'll need to make some special mix of fuel for that, not that i'll be running it often, but the goal is to have it functioning and if diesel lowers the revs closer to a more normal bikes idle..
Good point, then there is converting AC to DC for lighting and recharging. The smallest converter/regulator i could find is still pretty big, so i might have to design my own circuit, which is something i can do, but the circuit components on the other hand.. Small enough to fit under the tank?

My Cox Minibike S-l16010
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:50 am

If the starter is used as alternator you always have a DC system
And as regulator
Look at boost/Buck converters
They come in small packages
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Eyebrows Wow thanks, surprised how small that 20x20x5mm module is, and much more compact than that other thing i was looking at.
The concave i made in the rear of the tank happens to be just on 20mm wide, so i think with a touch of the Dremel it will fit perfect Affraid or WOW!

My Cox Minibike Tc004010
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Happy Now proud owner of a Cox Queen Bee .074

Post  My Cox Bike Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:11 am

roddie wrote:I perused quickly thorough this thread this morning before leaving for work. I really love the frame and front-end! Is this being modeled with a particular full-scale bike in mind.. maybe one you've owned or would like to own?

It looks like you have some room to make decisions on the back-end.. to maybe fit your primary-drive on the output-shaft side.. and final-drive on the opposite side.. sort of like a torque-converter/snow-mobile drive. This might help to balance the bike and give you more options with the final-drive ratio. You'd need to prepare the frame for a pair of bearings to support a cross-shaft. I'll bet you've already though about that.

The centrifugal clutch that Cribbs (Ron) spoke of.. would be an item to seek/source. Try searching Cox/Jerobee engine-drive parts on eBay.. and see if you can find anything. One of our members "overlord" (Lieven.. from France) has recent experience with the Jerobee clutch set-up.. and its' associated parts.. dis/re-assembly.. tuning etc. on a scale-model Corvette that he has, with a similar Cox .049 reed-valve engine. I'm sure he will find your project fascinating!

Please keep us up to date with your progress!

My Cox Minibike S-l16011

Thanks to your post i had a search around for cox parts which may be useful, including the Cox - Jerobee-drive parts, which i couldn't fine, though i did find this Cox Queen Bee .074, which i purchased from ebay USA for $160 without blinking. This was the throttle control and muffler unit i was admiring some 7 weeks ago, and didn't expect to find one!
While i don't think the throttle control unit will fit the .049. Nit that i want to modify my model at this point because i am happy with it; though, i hope to use this on another bike model possibly. This shaft looks too long on this engine anyhow, so it would work well as i want to make the next shaft driven.

I need to find or make or find a clutch for this bike! I was hoping to have it controlled as on a real bike, but short on the precision machinery at this point. Maybe a tension system like i think this is, would work? My Cox Minibike Img_2810
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  My Cox Bike Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:16 am

My Cox Minibike Img_8612

A little progress.
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 pm

My Cox Bike wrote:
I need to find or make or find a clutch for this bike! I was hoping to have it controlled as on a real bike, but short on the precision machinery at this point. Maybe a tension system like i think this is, would work? My Cox Minibike Img_2810

That "looks like" an idler.. but it's actually a band-brake that actuates when the throttle is closed. It's linked to the throttle-servo and wraps-around a groove in the clutch-bell set-up. Try searching Cox GTP Nissan/Maples throttle.. just to see what comes up. I'm not sure if the "Jerobee" models used the same clutch-system.. but I'd bet on it.

How will your cooling-system work? It looks real good.. with all that plumbing and all.. but what will you use to pump the coolant through it? The boat-modelers use a water-jacket that delivers fresh-cool water around the head, via a pick-up tube placed behind the prop for circulation. The associated plumbing carries the fresh-water in-around the head.. and expels it. A closed-system might not provide enough cooling.

Cox Hobbies used "heat-sink heads" on many of there non-aero powered models to help keep the engine cool. They look similar to the one in the above photo.. except they are totally-flat. You might be able to forego the liquid-system completely.. if it will fit within the bike-frame's perimeter.

Here's a photo of the Cox part#8477 heat-sink, designed for their "Sandblaster" model.. and used on many others.

My Cox Minibike 191-6210

Mounting-options are a linear 360 degrees around the glow-head. It measures 1-11/16"L x 1-1/16"W..  with the furthest point from the center of the head being 1-1/8".

I think you'll need to find a compromise between an exhaust-throttle sleeve.. and that box-header design that you currently have. An .049 exhaust-throttle sleeve will only fit an .049 cylinder that's been "milled" for it. They're usually obtained in pairs. Boxing the header could still be done.. but the sleeve would need to move within the stationary box. It may be better to keep it simple.. with reliable exhaust-throttle/open-header and air-cooled heat-sink head. You could then concentrate more on the centrifugal-clutch drive.

There are other reed-valve engine throttle-systems.. but they wouldn't lend themselves well to your 90 degree engine-layout for this bike. Those can be discussed when you build a shaft-drive bike!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Happy Vote on my my engine for NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH!

Post  My Cox Bike Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks for the very useful information. Gotta  sleep here right now, but hope to get into soon.

Mean while, can anyone help me out and vote on my engine for COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH?

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10174-vote-on-the-next-cox-engine-of-the-month-october-2016#128644

I just want to point out out that i have not modified the engine, apart from cutting some plastic, but i've only added to it, and not only do every one of those additions
serve a purpose, but it adds to the whole appearance.

And most of all, knowing that there's a little cox deep inside, is the best part.  Shh  Eyebrows
My Cox Bike
My Cox Bike
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 am

Here's a little story of a tear-down and assembly of my Jerobee car engine (or that's what I think it is). Maybe you've seen it already, but in any case it shows the centrifugal clutch assembly among other things.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10059-mystery-motor-from-an-unknown-vehicle

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi Coxbike, welcome to the forum!! That's a nice project and I admire your courage to start and continue building such a machine.

Flywheel- clutch assemblies are rather large compared to the engine. The Jerobee uses a steel (partnr 1090) or aluminium (670) flywheel with 2 composite flyweights. The flyweights made by Jerobee, Cox and MRP are the same. The flywheel is bolted with a clutch shaft to the tapered end of a "car crankshaft" made by Cox. The crankshaft has a bigger diameter than the normal ones and they also need a different crankcase. Ex Model Engines sells those components:

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.049-car-engine-crankshaft.html

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.049-car-engine-crankcase-refurbished.html

My Cox Minibike Imgp8911

My Cox Minibike Imgp8910

My Cox Minibike Clutch10

My Cox Minibike Mrp10

My Cox Minibike Imgp7510

The clutch on the Cox Nissan is of the same design:

My Cox Minibike Nissan10

The Cox Gassers has a different design. The aluminium flywheel is a lot thinner and bolts onto a standard Cox drive washer. The clutch has 3 flyweights. Those parts are almost impossible to find though.

My Cox Minibike Imgp1112

My Cox Minibike Imgp1111

My Cox Minibike Imgp1113

My Cox Minibike Imgp1110

My Cox Minibike Imgp1114

On a Bee engine, exhaust throttle is normally used. If you want to use a carb, you can switch to a Tee Dee as on this bike. I don't know if you saw this already. It's on RC Groups:

My Cox Minibike Er049_10

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18061316&postcount=97

Hope this helps.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:13 pm

That's nice but I think My Cox Bike 's is better , it has BRAKES and handle bars !!  You should hook up with this guy My Cox Bike (since I don't know your name and that's OK !! Rock and Roll !! Pumpkin Pumpkin Pumpkin Pumpkin Pumpkin
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next