Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Veco 19 RC Cox_ba12

Veco 19 RC Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 6:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Veco 19 RC Empty
Live on Patrol

Veco 19 RC

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veco 19 RC Empty Veco 19 RC

Post  ian1954 Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Veco 19 RC Veco_111
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Veco 19 RC Empty Re: Veco 19 RC

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:29 am

That looks like an OS muffler though?

My first real engine after learning to fly on Cox engines was a Veco .19 with Perry carb. Still have the engine in a Graupner Taxi. Engine was very easy to start and ran well on 9x4 props, doing about 12500rpm I think.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 am

OS 702 muffler is on one of my 1966 Max OS .10R/C's and with an NOS OS Max .15R/C. Also bought one off E-Bay with a Max .25R/C strap. One on the .10 is not their muffler for this engine (believe the 701 was), but with the slightly larger chamber and it fits the outlet perfectly, will probably run fine without much RPM loss. Following is my OS Max .10R/C temporarily set in a Berkeley Impulse fuselage to check fit.

Veco 19 RC Os_max10

Because the OS is narrower than the Enya .09-III TV I was planning to use and fits this tight space will most likely be my engine of choice.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 am

Please delete, don't know why my message double posted.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Redundant post.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes chaps,. The silencer is OS. I bought a job lot of silencers a few weeks ago and have been mixing and matching.

The chances of finding a Veco silencer are pretty slim and this is quite a noisy little beast.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:23 pm

I have mufflers for all of mine, I think, guess I might be guilty of hoarding a few...

The real gem is the McCoy tuned/modded version (black head), it should bring it closer to .21, and it is what once gave the Veco such a good reputation when used in cars Smile

Veco 19 RC Img_0017
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Ian, decades ago.. I was given a scale-model B24 Liberator bomber with four Veco .19 RC engines cowled-in. It had to have been a kit.. "Byron" possibly.. but web-searches didn't prove. All engines had a "wiper" across the exhaust-stack in the linkage-connection with the carburetor. That model was built by a craftsman. I got it third-hand.. and completely unattached as far as history. My friend (a Plumber/hobbyist) found it when doing some plumbing-work. The fellows "widow" said that "it was the last model-airplane to go".. of several that he'd built. I ended up with it... and stored it for years. My brother asked me for it.. as a display; which I was happy to oblige. He went through a divorce... and the B24 and it's four Veco .19's are gone. I do have one propeller. They were propped with 3-blade "Tornado" 9" x 6" tractors.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:57 pm

thread bump... Happy New Year Ian. Hope that you are well. We miss your contributions. Smile

May 2022
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:20 am

Hi roddie,

That was likely a Jack Stafford B-24. Out in 1974 or thereabouts.
This one looks like it has OSFX.25s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaiHNA5wUCk

Still have two Veco.19s Dad had in a Brittan-Norman Islander.
The mufflers are the OS.15 ones of the era. Drilled out exhaust holes larger.

I last bench ran them 20-30 yrs ago. Nice engines. Dykes ringed pistons, I believe.
Hope Ian is OK.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:57 am

Great video Dave, I watched it end to end. A little rough, you would think so after so many flights, but I liked the detail, especially the tail guns.

The B-24 was going to be my next scratch project after doing my P-38 but it never happened. I drew up the plans and did the research. Still not out of reach, a good project for my old age, when I finally get there. Smile Thought about doing the B-17, but the 24 would be the easier build.

A Veco .19 was my first non half A engine IIRC. Must still be around here if I haven't given it away.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:42 pm

rsv1cox wrote:A Veco .19 was my first non half A engine IIRC.  Must still be around here if I haven't given it away.
My first non-Half-A was a Testors McCoy .19 Red Head that I bought from America's Hobby Center in high school. I forgot what I paid for it in 1972, but it was the cheapest bigger non-Half-A at the time, installed it in a Sterling 38 inch F-51 profile C/L model, covered it in chrome Monokote. (Remember the instructions showing how to use a household steam iron? Very Happy )

I flew it after I returned and got stationed back in Hawaii Summer 1973. Flew it at Waianae Intermediate (7-8th grades) School grounds. (That was when it was located outside of town on the rural side before houses were built nearby, no problems with noise, community, graffiti or school officials.) It flew very trainer like. (I didn't know then, the McCoy .35 RH would have been a better choice.)

Ah, but it was still fun nonetheless, handled the Trade Winds better than the half-A's. Stereo
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:17 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:I have mufflers for all of mine, I think, guess I might be guilty of hoarding a few... The real gem is the McCoy tuned/modded version (black head), it should bring it closer to .21, and it is what once gave the Veco such a good reputation when used in cars Smile
Veco 19 RC Img_0017
Your use of the Bernhardt HP mufflers on the Veco .19 caught my attention. Didn't see this until now, @Surfer_kris, use of a Testors Series 21 Black Head head, cylinder and Dyke ring piston with a little machining work to fit a Veco .19 crankcase. (Was the Series 21 crankshaft also reused?) This is innovation at its finest. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:34 pm

HalfaDave wrote:Hi roddie,

That was likely a Jack Stafford B-24.  Out in 1974 or thereabouts.
This one looks like it has OSFX.25s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaiHNA5wUCk

Still have two Veco.19s Dad had in a Brittan-Norman Islander.
The mufflers are the OS.15 ones of the era. Drilled out exhaust holes larger.

I last bench ran them 20-30 yrs ago. Nice engines. Dykes ringed pistons, I believe.
Hope Ian is OK.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

Hey Dave! Thumbs Up Thanks for the post! LoVeD the vid! The B24 that I had.. was probably that same kit. It was at least that big. Not sure if the retracts were "Spring-Air". They may have been Robart units.. but that wouldn't define the kit.. any more than the choice of engines; either one being a required accessory.

Those engines in the vid started and ran pretty nicely. Probably Japanese engines like you said. Still; must be a tough assignment to sync the throttles of four little 2-strokes over their individual power-bands. Regardless.. they sounded sweet and pulled that airplane with authority. That "scale wing" needs a higher than scale speed to maneuver and the landing-approach needed to be pretty "hot". Not sure if his flaps were operational.. but they looked like they could be. Can't scale air-density... unfortunately. Smile

Curious about what the dry weight of the model is.. and the fuel-tank capacity/ies.

I could write for hours about my model airplane thoughts.

I hope Ian is OK also Dave.. Thanks Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:55 pm

Hi roddiie,
There is a reason, the two Veco.19s have survived.
Dad crashed the twin, and we made two WW1s.
After that.
The Veco's still run good.
There is no way a Veco.19 has turned any 3 blade prop. I dare you.
9-4 at the most,
The two Dad and I have are ready to go. Dad is 94...
We prefer hand launching,
Wheels are for show.
Your results may vary,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 am

October 1957 Aeromodeller magazine, H.R. Warring's test on the Veco .19 showed that on 20% nitro, from what I gather, optimal props appear to be 8x5 to 9x3. Those would unload to near 15,000 RPM, where maximum horsepower of 0.316 was developed.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Veco%2019%20%282%29.html

On 3 blade, may be a 7x3 or 7x4? 3 blades are hard enough to come by anyway, so may be a mute point IMO.

I've seen a lot of positive comments about Veco engines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:15 am

Hi All,

I have only bench run the two Veco.19s. Both even.
9-4 @ 13K + not peaking, on 15% Nitro and added castor to 20% oil.
The prehistoric carb works very good.
I could throw a smaller prop on it...wants to go. Short strokes like that.
I ran them out, and put auto transmission fluid in, while they were warm.
The OS mufflers have stayed on.
Do Veco .19s have Dykes piston rings? If so, they work great.
This is a myth to me,
Respect,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 am

HalfaDave wrote:I have only bench run the two Veco.19s. Both even. 9-4 @ 13K + not peaking,  on 15% Nitro and added castor to 20% oil.
H.R. Warring ran his on 20% nitro. His numbers were based on the props of his day. As time marched, props tended to be narrower width. Your 9x4 was probably a match for his 9x3. Looks like once on a plane and in the air, yours would have unloaded to peak HP RPM.
HalfaDave wrote:Do Veco .19s have Dykes piston rings?   If so, they work great. This is a myth to me,
I checked the Sceptre Flight engine articles, the various Veco .19 models to include those later manufactured by K&B did not have Dykes rings. @Surfer_kris did some additional machining to his (last engine in his photo) so he could use a Testors Series 21 Dykes ring piston and head. Reading between the lines, probably machined off the steel fins from the Series 21 cylinder liner to fit the Veco, plus other modifications to fit the Series 21 crankshaft, reused the Series 21 Dykes piston, piston pin, connecting rod, crankshaft, head. Made a new aluminum prop plate. Essentially he had a Testors .19 Series 21 running inside the Veco crankcase.

Veco 19 RC 2023-027
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:46 pm

Never realised...or rather never thought of trying the OS 702 on a Veco....that solves a lot of my problems-I have about half a dozen Veco 19s and only 2 mufflers....and now the problem is solved-as I have quite a few OS-702's....and most of my Max 15s are on FF models where we don't use mufflers in any case.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:46 pm

Revisiting this thread... because I came across a photo recently, that may hold a secret. It's a photo of my apartment's attic from back in 2005.. which shows the B24 which had.. X4 Veco .19's.

Veco 19 RC B24_ha10

Shocked ................ There "were" four engines on the model. I obviously removed them at some point.. but I can't remember if I put them back on.  Huh...  Huh...  Huh...

Note the small yellow paper bags. They're 5lb. "Domino" sugar bags that when emptied; I used to save for putting "WIP" (work in process) model airplane parts in.

Earlier in this thread I explained that the "model" was brought to my brother's home for storage when Lynne and I moved out of that apartment. While at my brother's home; the model met with some sort of incident that he still won't tell me about but nonetheless... it's gone. It was mainly the four Veco engines that I was concerned about. Now I'm wondering if they were even on the model.. or whether they might be in a box somewhere downstairs here. There's a few boxes that I haven't gone through since we moved.. mainly because they're buried precariously below a lot of other stuff that's equally difficult to access.

Seeing that photo makes me want to "DIG"..... If I'm lucky enough to find those four engines; I'll post back here.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:06 pm

Great story roddie, and I would love to own that B-24 regardless of condition.

I once built in all my Cox engines when I installed a suspended ceiling in our Tiverton House. I came to one day, remembered and fished them out.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:23 pm

Having received an alert that this thread had been 'bumped' again and reading through it in full...I have a couple of points to make:

(1) there are at least 5-possibly 6 -distinct models of the Veco 19...starting with the mid 1950s series 100 plain bearing model , later available as an R/c version with linked exhaust chopper. Next came the series 150-still plain bearing-in 1964, in parallel with the Clarence Lee designed series 200-which was twin BB...and the general style of most of the examples in this thread. Later-when K&B took over-we had the Veco 19 series 71-(and its successive series 72 and73 derivatives-all with only minor detail changes) and currently the Mecoa manufactured one.

Quite often overlooked though-is the Veco 19 series Europe....which was manufactured under licence by Helmut Bernhardt (HB Engines) in Germany-and eventually morphed into the HB20.

(2) There is a bit of ambiguity in the posts around the blackhead Veco 19-and the possibility of misintepretation. During the initial heyday of R/c 1/8 car racing-the Veco 19 was THE engine to use-and a car variant was produced. Dick McCoy offered a range of tuned Vecos and hop up parts (he continued to do this with later engines such as the K&B 3.5)-it is possible that the mention of a blackhead McCoy Veco is a Veco 19 fitted with McCoy aftermarket parts rather than the innards of a Testors series 21 McCoy 19 fitted into a Veco case-which would require considerable work...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks Chris, that does it! I have got to go through my boxes in the Loft and find my Veco. I remember that it came with a very large aluminum spinner. Should not be hard to find. But I'm talking years, and years ago....
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:48 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Chris, that does it!  I have got to go through my boxes in the Loft and find my Veco.  I remember that it came with a very large aluminum spinner.  Should not be hard to find.  But I'm talking years, and years ago....

They're still excellent all round engines even now-and long lasting. Gil Henry-or his chief designer-knew what they were doing when they came up with original design...incidentally, over the years there have been a few articles on hopping up the original Veco 19-the plain bearing one-which is still an excellent-and legal-engine for Nos FF (which is what my one gets used for....even though here in NZ we don't have the tight restrictions on engines in Nos that you do in the USA..)...as for my others (the series 200, series 71 and Veco 19 europe-well they get used in CL models and radio..I just did a head count and I have 7 of the things not 6 as i earlier thought..

ChrisM

PS Giving a bit more thought to the 'ringed Veco 19' mentioned above...yes the only way you COULD do it would be to use a Testors cylinder unit, as trying to use a ringed piston in the normal Veco 19 liner you'd get the ring trapped in either the exhaust or transfer port -or both-on the power stroke....
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:03 pm

Well the plot thickens...and it seems I may have been wrong-reading between the lines of this post from elsewhere: http://www.modelengine.org/phpbb4/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2482     someone-presumably in the US is enquiring after parts for a Veco 21

This url is the Mecoa Q&A website-and if you look about halfway down the Mecoa reply refers to a ringed version of the HB 21....and also that the Veco 21 was only available in Europe now this can't be the big chunky HB 21 Blitz as that was ABC, but rather an earlier HB21 model derived from the original Veco 19 Europe, the HB20 itself being typical HB in styling but probably Veco internally-judging by the comments...but it would seem the HB21 was ringed...so could there be some parts commonality-or even interchangeability?

In a lot of cases, manufacturers may change the name of an improved or redesigned engine, but keep the same internal specs, such as bore and stroke, or avail themselves of a minor change to the bore or stroke...hence things like the TD/Atwood/Holland Hornet 049/051, Fox .19/.201, and K&B .29./31     I wonder if we are looking at a similar situation here?...especially as surfer chris is Europe based?

ChrisM
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:57 am

Hi roddie,
That must be a Jack Stafford B-24.
A groundbreaking (all puns intended) design of the time.
Called for the Veco .19s, the best at the time.
If you want a 9-4 to do something,
Try a VECO .19 !!!!
Take care.
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content